Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The day my life changed forever



Wednesday October 8th, 2014

It seemed like it would be just as normal as any other Wednesday had been for the past 41 weeks.  I woke up, and felt great. I slept pretty well, only woke up once to go pee and declared " Today is gonna be a good day.. I think."
 When I woke up it was about 6:15 am and I heard the strange sound of my mom at the end of the hallway speaking softly to someone. I jumped out of bed and quickly tried to put on my pants ( It didn't happen as quickly as I'd like but you get the gist- I got my pants on ).  I shuffled out of the bedroom and into the hallway and peered through one barely open eye and saw the cutest 5 year old at the opposing end of the hall. My little " JuneBug" Haiden ( your cousin )  standing there in her pajamas at the other end of the hallway. You could probably tell instantaneously that we were related, aside from our facial features, we share the same unruly bed head hair, scrunched up faces wiping the sleep from our eyes, and then the realization we're showing some " belly meat" and try to straighten out our pajamas before walking toward one another and hugging the warmest hug. From a third persons view we probably looked like we were two bums cackling and fighting over a loaf of bread- but whatever we were happy to see each other.



  Alan, Dawn, Haiden and Rowan had come down to visit and go on a Disney vacation. They trickled into the house and  sat down for a few minutes. Pretty soon after that I woke up Ryan ( your dad ) and let him know we had company, he got up came in and sat down with us. Rowan eventually joined us after waking up and he and Haiden watched some Daniel Tiger while I started to get dressed for our trek to the hospital.

Wow.. so here I was, exactly 41 weeks pregnant getting dressed and preparing to meet you for the first time. I donned a black tank top, and black pajama pants ( comfort is the most important part of dressing this far into pregnancy - dont judge ) combed my hair, pulled it back out of my face, and brushed my teeth. I grabbed a cup of water and took my daily prenatal vitamins and got the bags lined up and ready to go. Your daddy and MeMe were already dressed and ready to go by the time I had put on my clothes and gotten my act together, we took a few photos together and noted that the next time I'd be back at this house, I'd have you with me, in my arms and ready to meet the world. All sorts of thoughts rushed through my head.  Am I ready for this? Can I be a good mom? Am I going to be able to provide for you with everything you may ever need and more? Will I be able to feed you enough? Will I know how to calm you down when you get upset? Do I know how to change a diaper? So many questions, all unanswered.







We are scheduled to check in at Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies at 9 am. We arrive by 8:50 and get sent right up to the second floor ( one of the labor and delivery floors ). We get checked in and  get our ID bracelets. We sat in the waiting area for what seemed like forever while they got our laboring room ready. I watched other pregnant moms who were being induced that day waddle in and out of the waiting area and get taken back. Soon it would be our turn and they would call out our name and we would roll our bags to the room and get the whole process started.











It was shortly before 10 am that they called us back. I walked down the hallway with a pillow stuffed under one arm and my hand rolling my small green suitcase in the other. " Is this really happening? " I asked myself. We got to the room and I looked around. A huge wall of windows ( not looking out to the prettiest of views ( I got to stare at some roof top vents, and watch maintenance guys repair a fan ). They assured me that the windows were one way, and you could only see outside in the daytime and the workers couldn't see what was going on inside unless it was night time and the big bright lights were on. The nurse introduced herself as "Reggie" and that she would be with me until about 530 pm. Reggie handed me a gown and told me " Honey, go ahead and take everything off, even your underwear - you wont be needing that anytime today" as she chuckled.  I looked at your daddy, he smiled and laughed and said " well go on now.. get to it" I smiled and shuffled on into the bathroom which was nicely appointed with  fluffy soft white towels, granite counter tops, a big mirror, a deep tub to relax in and of course some fancy eco toilet.  Putting on the gown I felt the chill of the air conditioner down my backside. Fairly soon after I was questioned about my pregnancy, whether Ive had any complications, contractions, history of this and that. They brought me a huge yoga ball with a blanket to sit on and get things rolling and loosen up my hips and pelvic floor. They hooked me up to an IV line for fluids and left us alone for a good bit.








Your Doctor Kai Fu, came in to check the progress and start us on oxytocin ( aka pitocin ) to get things moving along a little quicker. He said that we should have a baby "sometime after midnight." At this point i was 4cm dilated and about 60 % effaced.

I was checked on again around 245 pm, my physical status was still the same, 4 cm and 60 % so they ramped up the medicine hoping that it would make me progress faster. He and the nurse preformed a " check " and  the next thing I knew was that there was a warm gush of fluid and you started squirming around, the doctor had broken my water. I told everyone that you didnt feel like you were ready because you and I both were becoming quite comfortable, and honestly I felt a little guilty because my water didnt break natrually. But you had to come out sweet cheeks, its not healthy to stay much longer than 41 weeks in the womb from what the experts say. By this time your Papaw Ed had made it to the hospital, and your dad was just coming back to the room with a bag of burgers from Five Guys. Let it be known that I was not allowed to eat anything except clear liquids since about 10 pm the night before. I was actually so excited, I actually wasnt very hungry at all. I did partake in the cranberry juice Nurse Reggie offered to me and thoroughly enjoyed every sip of that. There were a few times that I was mildly uncomfortable- but that wasnt anything that rolling to my side didnt relieve. I guess you could call those contractions.





Around 4:45 Doctor Fu came back in to make his final rounds and see how far I had progressed. I was only about 4.5 cm and 65% effaced. He told the nurses to let the oxytocin double and informed me of the shift change and who my doctors were going to be and that you and I would be in good hands. The nurses came in and introduced themselves- this round tonight the Doctor would be Doctor Brown, and the nurse was a nice British woman named Norma, who was a professional midwife back in London. I felt very much at ease with the team for the evening, and they proceeded to ask if I was ready for an epidural since I had quickly progressed to 7 cm dialated and 80 % effaced. I gave in, not because I was in pain, but because of the fact that if you wait too long, an epidural wont help with the pain at all. So the anesthesia team came in and placed it and rolled me side to side so that it could take full effect. I shook and shook  and shook, like I've never shook before. It was because of the medicine. There wasnt much pain but more of the feeling that I wasnt in control of my body any more. I was confined to the bed ( because youre a fall risk if you have the epidural ) and we waited. I didnt feel any contractions really. I did keep checking the monitor behind my head and seeing the contractions register and thinking  " how funny is it that I dont feel a thing, I wonder if the baby is uncomfortable.. i sure hope not."






Fast forward to 9 PM, Nurse Norma comes in and I ask her if anyone is going to check on me and see my progression, she got the doctor and they looked directly at me and asked how I was feeling, and I said " I feel fine, I just thought maybe you guys would or could check on me before it gets too late, its been a few hours and I just was curious if the medicine is working"  Then Doctor Brown smiled and said " Well, youre ready to push. If we can get in here and draped in 30 minutes we're going to have you start pushing then."

So they did. They got the drapes, the carts, the extra nurses, closed the outside curtains and turned on the bright lights from the ceiling. Your papaw was trying to get out of the room as fast as he could, because of a modesty thing. Usually only a father and the mother are in the delivery room, but the doctor wouldnt let your papaw leave. He was told to either sit where he was and dont move, or go and sit in the bathroom.  They adjusted the bed and broke down the bottom portion so I could have room to have the doctors get in and do what they needed to do.

At 9:37 pm I pushed my first push. Nurse Norma was such a good coach. She sounded like the people who stand behind home base at a baseball game and say " Swing batter batter swing " except she was telling me to push. Your dad was on my left side by my feet and your MeMe was at my head on the left side of the bed praying that this wouldnt end up in a cesarean birth.  I pushed for a good 45 minutes every so often and took a few breaks, and then the nurse needed a quick break to get the doctor. I told her, I feel like I need to push, and she said " well push honey as hard as you can push wayyyy down " The doctor came in to take a look and quickly got her gown, mask and gloves on. They showed me a mirror and told your daddy to look down because you were going to have a full head of thick dark hair. I was shocked- I'd never seen anything like that before in my life.






At 10:59 pm I felt the pressure in my pelvic bone get some relief. The doctor held you up, and said " It's a Girl!!!"  Tears filled my eyes as I looked down and saw the most beautiful and perfect baby I'd ever seen before in my entire life. Sure you were wet and somewhat slimey but they clamped the cord and took you off to my right side and cleaned you up. They got your foot prints measured you and did their tests. You scored a 98 out of 100, you were wonderful, and perfect in my eyes.  They wrapped you up and brought you over to me and your daddy showed me what you looked like close up. Your head was the perfect shape, not a cone or flat, perfect. you had all 10 fingers, 10 toes and your face wasnt to terribly wrinkled up. I felt so happy, and overwhelmed and excited all at once. This is a moment I had prayed for so long. You were here, you were perfect, you are beautiful. You made me a mother on this night. The happiest night of my entire life.
















You Weighed: 8 pounds & .07 ounces
You measured: 20 1/2 inches.


There is absolutely nothing that I would change about how you were born, and if the Lord ever gave me the chance to do it again all over, I would without a doubt because its one of the most precious gifts and blessings Ive ever had bestowed upon me.


We hadn't picked out a name for you, and that came the following day after taking a few long looks at you and seeing what would fit best. Your daddy and I decided on the name : Adalynne Faith. Its beautiful. We decided to call you Faith, because thats what we all had while you were growing in my belly. Trusting fully in God that everything would be alright and that you would be perfect. Remind me one day to tell you the story of the mustard seed. You have Faith ( you) the size of a mustard seed ( you were entering this world so tiny and small) and with the right applications you will grow abundantly and flourish under Gods care. 

You met and exceeded all of my expectations. You are a beautiful baby, with thick reddish brown hair that has gorgeous blonde highlights, long tiny fingers and toes, a button nose and the perfect little rosy pink lips and big beautiful gray blue eyes. You're a perfect mixture of your daddy and me. 

I love you so much tiny wiggle worm love bug- you don't even know. I love you my little and very sweet  Adalynne Faith.

Xoxoxo,
Momma <3





















































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment